Explore the nature on a night time arctic nature snowshoe trip
Experience the night-time nature; join us to explore the different feeling of the wilderness after dark on night time arctic nature snowshoe trip. The lack of light intensifies your senses to see and hear like no other time of the day. In the silence, we can truly let the nature speak for itself. The Arctic night is something special. Clear skies are dotted with thousands of stars and if you’re lucky, the shimmering glow of the northern lights.
We snowshoe on easy terrain, advancing slowly. The aim is not to cover long distance, but to enjoy the moods and learn to see in the shadows. Moonlit nights make travel easier; sometimes we can see nothing but clouds and snowflakes falling down. Over a hot drink, we talk about the arctic nature and how it copes the harsh conditions of Lapland. If we are lucky, we might encounter with a fox in the distance or maybe even northern lights.
If you are planning on doing some northern lights photography, we recommend you to book our photography workshop before this trip. There you will not only learn the settings required for successful photography, but some of the history and science behind the northern lights.
Departure time: after dark, usually around 20:00 from your accommodation in Kilpisjärvi
Location: usually we drive a short distance away from the village
Duration: 3 hours
Suitability: easy walking, and can be adapted according to the group’s fitness and experience level
Snowshoeing is quite and you will feel warm whilst moving, but will cool down very quickly. As with any outdoor activity, layering is the best solution. Please, NO COTTON, e.g jeans, t shirt or hoody. If you get hot cotton doesn’t breath and will get wet, cooling you down very quickly. Merino wool is great because it keeps you warm even if it does get damp.
**Winter overalls, boots and mittens are able for rental. Contact us for more.**
- Down jacket or similar warm overcoat – for the break
- Windproof jacket e.g goretex or ski jacket
- Windproof trousers e.g goretex or ski trousers
- Base layer top – e.g merino
- Base layer bottoms – e.g merino
- 1x Thick woollen socks
- Thinner woollen socks e.g. merino
- fleece/woolen jersey
- Scarf / buff
- Warm hat – needs to cover your ears
- Mittens / gloves – windproof is good.
- Small day pack
Included on this tour
- professional guide who lives in the region
- hot drinks and a small evening snack (vegetarian, vegan and other diets will be taken into account, just let us know when you book)
- Snowshoes and head torches
- Transfers to the start of the trail – we pick you up from your accommodation
- As always in our tours, the price includes VAT