The remote Finnish village of Kilpisjärvi is home to 145 residents and is located in the ‘Käsivarsi’ or arm of Finland. The region has always been a regular overnight destination for merchants travelling from Tornio, Finland to Skibotn in Norway. Kilpisjärvi is at the Sami homeland.
The Kilpisjärvi region is unique in Finland. Home to all the fells over 1000m, including the iconic Saana Fell, easily recognizable as it stands watching over the village, and Halti, Finland’s highest mountain. The region is also home to a variety of species of rare flora and fauna.
Adventure seekers and aurora hunters all love Kilpisjärvi
Kilpisjärvi is located on the edge of the Käsivarsi Wilderness Reserve. Covering 2,200 square kilometers, it is the second largest wilderness reserve in Finland. During the summer and autumn months, the region is a popular destination for hikers, with 70km of the 800km Nordkalottleden Trail running through the area.
Kilpisjärvi has been a popular destination for Finns during their ski holidays as well as for nature lovers looking to embrace the wilderness. Adventure seekers love the destination for it’s remoteness and easy access to the wilderness. In recent years the area has become popular with aurora hunters looking to maximise their chances of seeing the famed northern lights. Located at 680 latitude, the village is on the edge of the aurora oval, but due to it’s micro climate on the edge of the Scandinavian Mountain Range, it tends to get on average more cloudless days than Tromso. Statistically speaking, 3 out of 4 nights you have a good chance of seeing the northern lights, although being a natural phenomenon, this can’t be guaranteed.
Kilpisjärvi activities and attractions
It’s a small and remote village, so is there anything to do in Kilpisjärvi, people often ask us.
If you like the outdoors, you’ll have plenty to do in Kilpisjärvi for days and weeks. There are many short day walks, which you can do independently, like the walk up the Saana mountain or the short walk to the three border cairn after the boat ride. If you’ve got more experience, you can find several longer hikes and wilderness ski trails around the village, too.
Adventure by Design offers “human powered” activities to do in Kilpisjärvi, all year around. With our guides you get more than just a walk or a ski tour. You will learn about the life, history, culture and nature of the region. A professional guide can take you safely to the more remote trails, and in wintertime off the trails too. In summertime, we stay on the trails, as we are committed to protect our fragile nature from the evident wear&tear of the growing nature tourism.
We offer a great selection of one-day activities in Kilpisjärvi:
- guided walks and hikes around the village and outside, including daytrips to Lyngenfjord, Norway
- ski lessons for absolute beginners, ski and snowshoeing trips mainly outside the main routes
- walks, skiing, snowshoeing for families with kids and teens. We have the gear for the smaller ones and guides who love to tailor the experience for your family.
- day retreats for those looking to calm down
- northern lights photography tours with a professional photographer
- photography services in the outdoors, get those special photos taken by a professional. We offer both still and video shooting plus drone shooting for proposals, outdoor weddings, honeymoon travellers and for anyone who would like to have a great memory of their special outdoor holiday.
Check out all our day activities in Kilpisjärvi here and contact us to plan something special for you!