A popular day cross country skiing tour from Kilpisjärvi village. Departing from Retkeilykesus at the northern part of the village you’ll follow the trail through the forest up on the open fell top and the groomed ski trails. From here you’ll make you way through the treeless landscape to the Saana day cabin. Your guide will make a fire and will have hot drinks and a pack lunch ready for you. After you have relaxed and refueled, you’ll ski across the frozen lake and make your way back through the birch forest to the main village.
Depending on your ski level we will ski on the groomed ski trails or make our own in the Arctic wilderness. Cross country skiing experience is recommended. Why not join our instruction class if you’ve never skied before? It’s fun and easy to learn.
|group-size||1 – 8 people|
- Skis, boots and poles
- Pack lunch and warm drinks
Skiing is quite active and you will feel warm whilst moving, but will cool down very quickly. As with any outdoor activity, layering is the best solution. Please, NO COTTON, e.g jeans, t shirt or hoody. If you get hot cotton doesn’t breath and will get wet, cooling you down very quickly. Merino wool is great because it keeps you warm even if it does get damp.
**Winter overalls, boots and mittens are able for rental. Contact us for more.**
- Down jacket or similar warm overcoat – for the break
- Windproof jacket e.g goretex or ski jacket
- Windproof trousers e.g goretex or ski trousers
- Fleece or woolen jersey
- Base layer top – e.g merino
- Base layer bottoms – e.g merino
- 1x Thick woollen socks
- Thinner woollen socks e.g. merino
- Scarf / buff
- Warm hat – needs to cover your ears
- Mittens / gloves – windproof is good.